When you check out the plant descriptions in our online plant catalogue, you’ll notice that, as well as the physical description, we give you some tips on the plant’s sun and water requirements.
How to understand planting conditions
If you’ve ever wondered about the difference between full sun and part sun, or full shade and part shade, here’s a simple explanation:
- Full sun - at least 6 hours of sunshine every day.
- Part sun – between 3 and 6 hours of sunshine. These plants will tolerate afternoon sun.
- Part shade – between 3 and 6 hours of sunshine, but these plants will not tolerate the hot afternoon sun.
- Full shade – less than 3 hours of sunshine. Remember, though, that few plants will thrive in a deeply shaded area that receives little or no sun at all.
When it comes to a plant’s moisture requirements, here are a few helpful guidelines:
- Well-drained soil will usually have a high sand content, and will likely be on a higher area or a slope, where water won’t accumulate. These conditions are suitable for plants that are drought tolerant.
- Moist, well-drained soil will also be in an area where water drains away (for instance on a slope), but the soil will have a higher organic content. The presence of humus and organic material will increase the soil’s ability to retain moisture. These conditions are suitable for plants that have an average water requirement.
- Soils that are very rich in organic materials, and situated in a shady, low lying area will retain more water than other soils. These soils are suitable for plants that prefer moist or wet conditions.
You can check out our full catalogue here, or you can narrow your search by the type of plants you’re looking for, including: annuals, evergreens, perennials, perennial grasses, shrubs, roses, trees and vines. And remember to check the growing conditions preferred by your chosen plants!Buying plants online is simple at Calgary Plants. Our helpful plant descriptions make it easy to choose, and our online buying system is a snap. Then all you have to do is sit back and wait for your plants to be delivered right to your door.